Tuesday 17 March 2015

The joys of Networking

Hello Guys! 

Last Wednesday, I got the opportunity to connect and network with PR agencies and professionals in, for better of another word, 'Speed networking'.

I created a CV poster for the event, forming mine as a Netflix page hoping it would show off my love for the media and entertainment industry. I got to the event bright and early, set up my poster and waited. The whole day was a blur, talking to numerous people about yourself for 3 hours can be tedious, and quite frankly annoying. By lunch I was fed up of talking about myself.



While I didn't get an interview, some of my closest pals got multiple, with really well respected people in the industry. I'm not going to lie. I was disappointed. I wanted to prove myself that day, I wanted to show professionals in the industry that I'm the best person they could ever employ. While that didn't quite go to plan, the knowledge I'm taking away from the event is substantial. 

I learnt what to and what not to put on my CV. I learnt how to talk to professionals and keep them engaged in what I'm saying. I learnt how to present myself as a confident person. Also, most importantly, I learnt what sector of PR I'm interested in. While speaking to 'Grapevine Media' I realised that yeah, I do want to do the entertainment PR. I also learnt that fashion PR is not what I want to enter into, and also learnt about the Health sector of PR.

This event helped me to see the wide range of PR available to little old, naive me. I'm so thankful to my University and peers doing PR in the years above for arranging such an insightful event for me and my fellow undergrads to participate in. I made some very useful contacts on the day, which will be oh so helpful in helping me find experience and a placement. 

Building contacts is such a vital part of the PR industry. As the saying goes, its not what you know, it's who you know..

Katy xo


No comments :

Post a Comment